Monday, September 10, 2007

Football Coach

As a facilitator of Geniekids I will try to apply what ever I have learnt in GenieKids till now and hope for the best.

 

First I will check to see if it is just his assumption or the fact that the professional player is not able to play the penalty kicks anymore. Is there any medical problem or the psychological problem involved?

 

I will acknowledge his feelings before I would advise him anything. I will empathize with whatever he might be feeling – frustrated, angry or disturbed by his performance. I will try to listen to what ever he has to say without making any judgments.

 

If the problem is not due to medical reason then I will see if it is something to do with his belief system. I will try to change his statement from "I cannot do it" to "How can I do it" I will let him know importance of asking right kind of questions.For example asking "What or How" instead of Why.

 

I will ask him to imagine how he would feel if he is able to hit the penalty kicks again and when he is not. May be I will do a GV Session with him to make him see  what's inside him is stopping him, how he would feel when he is able to shoot the goals, what is his reaction when he is not, how important is it for him to be able to beat his past.

 

Modeling:  I will see if he can learn or get inspiration from people who go through similar situations. How people in challenging situations act and come up, what strategies they follow.

 

Thinking Skills: May be I can make him aware of different ways to look into his problem- mentally, visually (may be by drawing or thinking visually), mathematically and kinesthetically. May be he can think deep and come up with some strategy and plan to reach his goals. May be I can give him idea about other thinking and learning skills like blooms taxonomy, compare contrast, induction-deduction, fish bone diagram, brainstorming and mind maps

 

Habits of Mind: May be I can give his suggestion in how he can apply different habits of mind for his advantage. For example

 

Thinking Flexibly:

Ask him to think about how he can

  • Consider different options to improve his kicks
  • Look into the problems in different ways and get better insight his inner self.
  • Change his perspective of looking into the problem

Metacognition

  • Become aware of his thoughts, strategies he can apply, feelings when he is able to and unable to kick the goals and his actions

Striving for accuracy: Make changes with in himself for

  • Always giving his best
  • Constantly setting high standards for himself
  • Finding ways to improve himself

Creative, imaginative and innovative

  • Try out different ways, be creative in his strategies

Taking responsible Risk

 

Finding Humor

  • Being able to laugh at himself instead of feeling stressed out.

 

These are just some ideas I can give him as a facilitator to make him see things he is not able to otherwise. The answer and motivation to make his dreams into a reality has to come from within him.

 

Anu

No comments: